How To Choose A Solar Panel Between A 12V And 24V?
For residential use in India, two types of solar panels are popular: the 24V solar panel and the 12V solar panel. However, what is the difference between these two, and how do you decide which one is a perfect fit for your home?
What is the 12V solar panel?
The 12V solar panel voltage is generated by smaller photovoltaic cells in the panel. These panels are either in square or rectangular and come in varying sizes from pocket size to residential rooftop installations. These can easily be used for residential uses like powering refrigerators, laptops, or phones. Additionally, the smaller versions can also act as portable power chargers when you're traveling.
- A 12V solar panel is one of the most efficient solar panels owing to its tightly packed cell structure.
- Most houses, electronics, and batteries are designed to work on a 12V power supply and will therefore be compatible with this product.
- They don't require high maintenance and are lightweight.
- 12V solar panels lose a lot of heat because of their low voltage.
- They are compatible only with other 12V appliances.
What is the 24V solar panel?
The 24V solar panel voltage is generated by the same method as the 12V solar panel. However, the key difference is this panel has almost double the number of cells. These can easily be used to power the whole home, as long as you have a compatible system with a 24V system.
Additionally, you can also use a transformer to change the voltage. These solar panels are commonly used in apartment complexes, hospitals, and hotels.
- A 24V solar panel does not lose a lot of heat due to its higher voltage.
- The heat retention makes a 24V solar panel much more efficient than 12V panels.
- The installation of these panels is easy if done on a large scale.
- A 24V solar panel is much more expensive than a 12V solar panel.
- They aren't compatible with appliances that require other voltages to run.
Which one is best for you?
The advantage of both these is that they can be used for residential power generation. Both products are available in various sizes and are available in portable sizes. However, if you are looking for battery charging solutions, the 12V solar panel for a 150Ah battery is the perfect fit.
Before buying either of the solar panels, we recommend looking at the appliances in your home and their compatibility. Otherwise, you will have to invest in a linear voltage regulator to break down the system.
Instead of worrying about the installations, you can always contact Waaree – the best solar panel installation service provider for residential use. Let us fulfill your needs.